Thursday, June 23, 2011

Art History 101

Cimabue and Giotto. Two very important and very famous artists from the Pre Renaissance period in history. I'm posting this because at the moment, I am doing my Art History homework and one of the things we focused on was the differences between these two artists. I think the clear winner is Giotto.
But then again, I do love the gaudy and shiny things. Probably due to my portugueseness. We love big gold glittery things. I have no idea why.
Anyways, art. Yeah that.
Giotto is a transitory artist that bridges the Gothic period. Both of these pieces are very simliar but Giotto focuses on the drama of what's going on and is starting to make way with perspective. It isn't great, but if you compare the figures on either side of the throne, you can see that in Giottos they look less "cut and pasted" and more human.
Like I said, bold shiny things.

1 comment:

  1. I'm curious whether the guy who does those awkward manbaby photoshopped images was inspired by Pre-Ren or not. I'm thinking yes.

    ReplyDelete